Choirbolical members may be interested in this event being held in Toowoomba on August 11th.
Registration is available with the link below:
Two works have been chosen for the 2018 Toowoomba Combined choirs event. The first is Ralph Vaughan-Wiliams’ Dona Nobis Pacem. The second work is something very close to home, a cantata called It is Well with My Soul
The basic format is that choirs (or individuals) practice on their own (rehearsal tracks will also be provided) then the combined group comes together for 2 rehearsals (Saturday 4th August and Thursday night 9th) and then the performance on the 11th August. The rehearsals and performance are to be held at St Luke’s Church (Cnr Herries and Ruthven Sts).
There is a cost of $20 per participant to cover the cost of the scores. Ideally, we would need registrations complete by 31st March. There are two options to register. You can direct your choristers to the link below and then can fill out the online form, or if you wish to coordinate on their behalf I have attached a form you can submit for group registration.
All welcome to come and enjoy singing at choir rehearsal tonight – Tuesday 6th March. 6.45pm for a 7pm start. Remember you are welcome to make recordings on your phone to practice with at home.
Spring Sing committee to meet following rehearsal tonight.
Our first performance for the year will be Friday evening May 11th at the Toowoomba Jazz Club – put it in your diary.
VOCE minutes available in posting below.
- All welcome to attend a VOCE meeting at Pam’s to confirm events for this year. 6pm tomorrow
Minutes of meeting held 13/2/18
Present: Pam, Lesley, Gail, Stewart, Catherine, Chris R, Marion. Apology: Kent
- Banner: Confirmed purchase of free-standing Choirbolical banner. (Stewart)
- Jazz night Friday May 11 – confirmed with Astrid. Up to 5 songs, free admission to singers and $15 for partners. 8.40pm to sing in the interval between brackets of a local jazz group. North Toowoomba Bowls club. (Marion)
- Saturday event – May 12 (Astrid unavailable)
- Wilsonton Gallery – Saturday June 16 – Dan’s Exhibition opening- details to come (Pam)
- Spring Sing – USQ available Sunday 16th + Astrid available A Spring Sing committee to form and start organising from now. (Pam to hand on info & find new co-ordinator)
- Recording Parts. Astrid unable to provide parts but choristers are welcome to record on phones for their own use. We felt we may need to announce recording times to minimize background noise (chatting!)
- Badges – people encouraged to wear
- Announcements – A big thank you to Astrid for a wonderful start of the year Workshop. FEES reminder. Dates for Diaries (Kent) (Chris – gift)
- Financial report – healthy bank balance. Budget for on-going costs including accompanist (Melinda), hall hire, musical director (Astrid), insurance. Could consider spending money: suggestions include portable PA system, Drums, and subsidised drumming workshop, (Lesley to look into another workshop date)
- Thank you Pam for hosting meeting.
Don’t forget Singing Workshop this Saturday with Astrid and some fabulous music. ALL interested singing folk WELCOME
De Molay House Margaret Street 10th February
8.30am for a 9.00am start.
10.45am Break (Bring a plate to share)
Approx 1.00pm finish
All welcome to share lunch at Chrissy’s home at Highfields after – get directions on the day. BYO food.
COST: $20 waged/ $10 unwaged.
Payments can be made in cash on the day or Direct Debit to Choirbolical account. Find banking details ( and choir fees hint-hint) under the Fees tab.
Hope to see you there.
Choirbolical February Workshop with Astrid will be held on…
Saturday 10th February 8.30am – 1.30pm @ DeMolay Hall
Cost : $20 waged $10 unwaged
Bring a plate to share for our break
Sorry for the late confirmation, but we have been having trouble finding a suitable venue. Then this week we were notified that our ‘home’ venue is now available. Hooray!! Further details of the Workshop to follow soon. In the meantime spread the word as it is a great opportunity for new singers to come along as we will be starting new repertoire
Don’t forget our first rehearsal for 2018 will be next Tuesday ( a 5th Tuesday) 30th January @ DeMolay Hall Margaret Street 7pm.
VOCE MEETING – 19 December 2017
Present: Rebecca, Kent, Pam, Gail, Stuart, Lesley
Apologies: Marion, Judy W, Chris R
a. Starting the year
• First rehearsal 5th Tuesday in January, 30 January, then Tuesday 6 February
• Workshop – Saturday 10 February to be followed by gathering at Chris R’s place
Action: Kent to check De Molay availability
• We will review at beginning of year but if problems persist Lesley will keep a parallel email list and send them out from her own address
• Astrid indicated is useful to have an accompanist. Action: Pam will talk to Melinda.
d. Assistant Conductor
• Proposal to find somebody who can come to rehearsals, no fees and to be paid for any rehearsals/performances where Astrid can’t attend
• Action: Kent to email Sarah Abawi and make approach on behalf of VOCE
e. Performances, incl. Spring Sing
• One substantial performance per quarter
• First quarter – Jazz Club. Action: Marion to book 27 April with Jazz Club, if possible
• Second quarter – Singing at Wilsonton Art Gallery June 16th
• Third quarter – Spring Sing 15 September
• Fourth quarter – Big Sing 28 October
• End of Year concert – early December – Action: Lesley to ask Elaine about Saturday 8 December.
• Other ad hoc performances as they come up through the year, eg. CUA,
• Would like continuity through the year, eg. keep some repertoire current after each performance
• Recording of parts – offer to pay for Astrid’s time or other recording options. Possibility of recording parts at rehearsal on phones – to try this and see how it goes
Big Sing is coming up this Sunday 29th Oct – 8.30am reg. /from 9am two workshops, James Cuskelly and Megan Flint /2.30pm Concert. $20 adult/ $10 concession
We are singing 2 songs – People Get Ready and Home and the Heartland. Both are almost there but not quite so we are having a words and music do it ourselves practice on Tuesday (tomorrow- 24th) so that we are ready for Astrid to weave some magic on Sunday.
Don’t worry if you haven’t been for a while – the Big Sing day will be great.
Performance Attire – black pants/ dress / skirts with some colour E.g. shirt / earrings / scarf etc
Music – of course we perform better without it but we have purchased some black folders if you need to use one.
Car pooling – tomorrow night we will sort out lifts to St Aidan’s School Corinda Bris for folk looking for one.
See you there.
2017 Big Sing Date Claimer
Just a reminder that the BIG SING in Brisbane is 2 weekends away on Sunday 29th Oct. so do come along to the rehearsal tonight. Next Tuesday we will have a short extra ‘do it ourselves’ practice @deMolay starting at 7pm.
Note there is a fifth Tuesday this month which will give us an additional rehearsal before a Jazz club gig on Friday 10th Nov 8pm.
A Voce meeting to finalise end of year activities will be held tomorrow 6pm at Pam’s house. All welcome.
- Sorry everyone but it seems that we won’t have a credible choirbolical performance today with a very depleted male line due to illness and absence. Hope you get this notice with enough time to reorganise your day. Sorry once again.
Marion (and Chrissy who was to lead us)