A reminder that we have a rehearsal this Tuesday 15th May. 6.45pm for 7 at DeMolay.
For those who were able to make the Jazz performance on Friday night – what a great night with the audience most impressed with our performance and Astrid and the Steven Henry Quartet treating us to some amazing jazz.
Astrid will be up in Toowoomba early so would love a warm up and run through the songs with us before the night gets started. If you can make it come at 7pm to the Bowls club car park in Elworthy Street – bring a coat in case we have to use the car park!! Should be a good night of music. Cheers Marion.
P.S a big Thankyou to Matt for rehearsing with us on Tuesday night – and adding a bit of performance polish with great skill and good humour!
Jazz Club event is on next Friday 11th May – so anyone who is intending coming and would like another run through our songs you are invited to Brian and Dia’s 7pm this coming Tuesday – 8th.
Music – Love’s in Need, Fields of Gold, Weather With You, They’re Red Hot (google Moira Smiley)
Friday 11th – Jazz kicks off after 7.30pm at the North Toowoomba Bowls Club (Elworthy Street Harlaxton) with the Steven Henry Quartet. We will be singing in the first break after 8.30pm but encourage you to enjoy the whole night. http://www.toowoombajazz.com/index.php/11-coming-events/130-11-may-2018-stephen-henry-quartet.html
On another note – what a fabulous night singing our lungs out at PUB CHOIR Toowoomba – Thankyou ASTRID – may the 4th be always with you.
Another do-it-ourselves practice tomorrow – Tuesday. 7pm @deMolay House.
It was a great practice last week. Thankyou to CUA for the space and a big thankyou to Melinda last Tuesday for patiently playing parts of The Weather With You, for us to record. (I haven’t yet worked out how to load these files ).
To assist learning parts and the words without music try an internet (YouTube)search for the following.
Fields of Gold – Albright Concert Choir
Route 66 – Manhattan Transfer 2008
Hope everyone has had an enjoyable Easter break. See you Tuesday. Marion
There will be two opportunities for Do-it-ourselves practices to learn notes and words over the next two Tuesdays for the following music:
- Love’s in Need
- The Weather You
- Route 66
- Fields of Gold
This Tuesday 27th March 6.00pm to 7.30pm @ CUA crn Ruthven St & Waltons Stores Lane
Next Tuesday 3rd April usual time 7.00pm to 8.30pm @ deMolay.
We hope to give people a chance to record their parts so bring your phone or recording device if you wish.
See you there.
P.s. Congratulations to Astrid with the excellent review of ‘Your the Voice’ pubchoir in The Australian on the weekend. And don’t forget Pubchoir is coming to Toowoomba 4th May so start inviting everyone you know!
Choirbolical members may be interested in this event being held in Toowoomba on August 11th.
Registration is available with the link below:
Two works have been chosen for the 2018 Toowoomba Combined choirs event. The first is Ralph Vaughan-Wiliams’ Dona Nobis Pacem. The second work is something very close to home, a cantata called It is Well with My Soul
The basic format is that choirs (or individuals) practice on their own (rehearsal tracks will also be provided) then the combined group comes together for 2 rehearsals (Saturday 4th August and Thursday night 9th) and then the performance on the 11th August. The rehearsals and performance are to be held at St Luke’s Church (Cnr Herries and Ruthven Sts).
There is a cost of $20 per participant to cover the cost of the scores. Ideally, we would need registrations complete by 31st March. There are two options to register. You can direct your choristers to the link below and then can fill out the online form, or if you wish to coordinate on their behalf I have attached a form you can submit for group registration.
All welcome to come and enjoy singing at choir rehearsal tonight – Tuesday 6th March. 6.45pm for a 7pm start. Remember you are welcome to make recordings on your phone to practice with at home.
Spring Sing committee to meet following rehearsal tonight.
Our first performance for the year will be Friday evening May 11th at the Toowoomba Jazz Club – put it in your diary.
VOCE minutes available in posting below.
- All welcome to attend a VOCE meeting at Pam’s to confirm events for this year. 6pm tomorrow
Minutes of meeting held 13/2/18
Present: Pam, Lesley, Gail, Stewart, Catherine, Chris R, Marion. Apology: Kent
- Banner: Confirmed purchase of free-standing Choirbolical banner. (Stewart)
- Jazz night Friday May 11 – confirmed with Astrid. Up to 5 songs, free admission to singers and $15 for partners. 8.40pm to sing in the interval between brackets of a local jazz group. North Toowoomba Bowls club. (Marion)
- Saturday event – May 12 (Astrid unavailable)
- Wilsonton Gallery – Saturday June 16 – Dan’s Exhibition opening- details to come (Pam)
- Spring Sing – USQ available Sunday 16th + Astrid available A Spring Sing committee to form and start organising from now. (Pam to hand on info & find new co-ordinator)
- Recording Parts. Astrid unable to provide parts but choristers are welcome to record on phones for their own use. We felt we may need to announce recording times to minimize background noise (chatting!)
- Badges – people encouraged to wear
- Announcements – A big thank you to Astrid for a wonderful start of the year Workshop. FEES reminder. Dates for Diaries (Kent) (Chris – gift)
- Financial report – healthy bank balance. Budget for on-going costs including accompanist (Melinda), hall hire, musical director (Astrid), insurance. Could consider spending money: suggestions include portable PA system, Drums, and subsidised drumming workshop, (Lesley to look into another workshop date)
- Thank you Pam for hosting meeting.
Don’t forget Singing Workshop this Saturday with Astrid and some fabulous music. ALL interested singing folk WELCOME
De Molay House Margaret Street 10th February
8.30am for a 9.00am start.
10.45am Break (Bring a plate to share)
Approx 1.00pm finish
All welcome to share lunch at Chrissy’s home at Highfields after – get directions on the day. BYO food.
COST: $20 waged/ $10 unwaged.
Payments can be made in cash on the day or Direct Debit to Choirbolical account. Find banking details ( and choir fees hint-hint) under the Fees tab.
Hope to see you there.
Choirbolical February Workshop with Astrid will be held on…
Saturday 10th February 8.30am – 1.30pm @ DeMolay Hall
Cost : $20 waged $10 unwaged
Bring a plate to share for our break
Sorry for the late confirmation, but we have been having trouble finding a suitable venue. Then this week we were notified that our ‘home’ venue is now available. Hooray!! Further details of the Workshop to follow soon. In the meantime spread the word as it is a great opportunity for new singers to come along as we will be starting new repertoire
Don’t forget our first rehearsal for 2018 will be next Tuesday ( a 5th Tuesday) 30th January @ DeMolay Hall Margaret Street 7pm.